Sunday, November 12, 2006

Water

I don't think I've been well this weekend. Everything is acidy. Perhaps my body is purging itself of all the stress that I've been experiencing lately. This is the first weekend where I've just been able to sit around and do absolutely nothing. Today, I took a nap in the middle of the rainy, cold afternoon. It was a perfect day for it.

Last night wasn't as peaceful. I woke up in the middle of the night sweating. It wasn't long before I began feeling nauseous. Still in a half-sleep stupor, I made my way down to the bathroom expecting the worst. Nothing happened beyond the feeling of a deep need to lay down on the floor before I passed out. So, that's what I did. It didn't help so much...I was lying there feeling like my body was trying to turn itself inside out. Then--it's hard to explain--there was something inside of me that was just telling me to drink water. But, it was so far to go from the soft, warmth of the bathroom rug all the way up to the faucet. I felt like Odysseus crossing the Aegean. But, I managed to sit up, or rather climb up to my knees and turn on the faucet, cup my hands and fill them with a pool of cool water. I was in such an awkward position: as I brought the water up to my mouth, I couldn't keep my fleshy cup together, and the water, to a large degree, escaped. I did manage to get some in my mouth. And I could feel it work its way down into my stomach. And then, I could feel it "working". I don't know what it was working on exactly, but it was working. So, I took some more. And some more. Then, I wiped my wet hands on my forehead and cheeks. Then, feeling somewhat weary from this exertion, I laid back down on the floor and rested. Within a few minutes, to my surprise, I began to feel better. Not better better, but relatively better. I slowly came to realize that I was not about to rehash the entirety of my daily intake of calories into the toilet. So, I got up and went to the living room to sleep on the couch--just in case...you know. I made a stop in the kitchen on the way there and grabbed a bottle of water. The more water I drank, the better I felt. Still, it was a rocky night. I didn't sleep much. Probably because the couch is not comfortable. So, that is why I napped today in my cool bed; listening to the sound of my roof catching the drops of rain water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home